Wednesday, July 19, 2006

PERSPECTIVE

Dear Frum Abby,

I live in Europe and the family isn't frum. There aren't any programs for Jewish kids here to go to and I'm missing out on the best years of my life and feel like a complete loser.

It makes me angry, but it is fun to read on those frum forum websites, how teens complain about every small little thing, like 'my Rabbi is this', 'my yeshiva is so bad', 'I'm frummer than my MO father', 'my friend ate a 0,5% non-kosherhamburger', 'I don't enjoy learning talmud', all those kind of silly smalldetails.

I'd suggest all of them should pack a suitcase and move to my town and try to live as a Jew right there alone. It almost induces a laugh, when reading about their problems.

Sad

Dear Sad,

Well, this is terrible, as you know. Since you're on-line, I'd suggest you find as much Torah as possible, try to learn something at least. The websites are pretty amazing. Google "Torah". Maybe you can even get some pen-pals in Israel if you hunt around. That would be fun, I think.

You actually have a LOT to offer other kids, frum and otherwise. I always tell kids who feel out of it socially to look around for OTHER kids who think they're weird. There are millions of kids out there who feel they don't fit in—actually, they're good kids, just a little insecure, and like you, struggling socially.

Your experience is interesting and unique (it will give you much to write one day). I also suggest that you write a diary or journal, of sorts, maybe even blog.
I can tell you that these years, these supposedly best years of your life are usually NOT the best years of your life. That's a lot of nonsense. They're soul searching years and full of conflict with family about identity and disappointment with friends and school. So in that respect you are very much like other kids, frum or otherwise.

See if there's some kind of counseling program for you, too. It's great to be one on one with an adult who doesn't judge you and only wants to help, even if he can't be "your friend."

Stay in touch,

F.A.

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Frum abby... im here again... its me that wrote the two questions "Perspective" and "Not An Observant Jew In SIght". The 1 from fassberg in Germany.
I know that you maybe will not be happy abt hearing this but i must tell you.
Im starting to go to parties again at friday evenings. it's goin better, and im approachin my earlier group. i just told them that ive changed my mind. i think its a better 4 me to have a social life this way, than havin none. ill only drink, but no drugs or anythin, and no sex... so it isn't that bad in judaism i'd guess.
its just so so hard for me, if i wudnt come, bcos that was simple my opportunity to get a social life. i finally got my first call from 1 in the class, and its going better that way.
so wat wud u suggest me though... i know u have feelings, but i also know that u som way must give an answer that will satisfy the old rabbis. so i kno that it must be hard 4 u to answer me now... but at least i dont think so much abt suicide as i used to.

just email me back on kanahzda@hotmail.com

i missed ur reply,,, so i just wrote to u, wat happened in the mean time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home