Monday, June 19, 2006

Why I Give It (advice) Away for Free

Dear Readers,

I see a gap here, people. Lots of religiously observant people need therapy, counseling, mental health treatment--whatever you want to call it-- and they can't afford it. Or they don't know where to turn to get it.

And it's true, we mental health professionals are rarely as dedicated and committed to our work as the rabbeim and other clergy of the world who stay up and take calls all night long. We wish we had that kind of strength, but we don't. Well, I don't.

Anyway. I'm throwing this idea out to you, hoping it may help. In my community I work closely with the Agudah and members of the local rabbinical council, and other mid-west organizations that send me patients. The rabbis know it's important that doctors and therapists, social workers and psychologists understand and respect customs, minhagim, and beliefs. You'll see, however, that most problems are universal and aren't about religion.

But this blog is written with religious folks in mind, even though you don't have to be frum to write. Frum Abby will answer if you're an atheist, as long as you're being sincere.

So we're opening it up. If you are Christian, Moslem, Buddhist, Jewish-- it doesn't matter.

Speak your mind, ask advice, comment, etc., on the letters and go ahead and criticize or add to the advice.

You might also read some of another blog Therapy Essays, Anecdotes, and More.

Be aware, however, if you write to me and ask for advice, that just because you write doesn't mean I'll publish your letter. You have to keep it lashon naki (clean) or there's no way it'll be read by my readers. I'm keeping names out of this and I'm cleaning up spelling and punctuation, for the most part, too.

Let’s get started.

All the best,

Frum Abby href="http://everyoneneedstherapy.blogspot.com">